Our attorneys, Belkis Plata and Shannon Schott, are Board Certified in the area of Juvenile Law. In order to obtain that certification, they had to meet the following qualifications.
- Practice of law for at least 5 years;
- Substantial involvement in the specialty of juvenile law during 3 of the last 5 years immediately preceding application;
- Handling of at least 20 fully adjudicated trials or appellate proceedings of which at least 10 occurred during the 5 years immediately preceding application;
- 50 hours of approved juvenile law certification continuing legal education in the 3 years immediately preceding application;
- Peer review; and,
- Pass an eight-hour written examination.
Board certification recognizes attorneys’ special knowledge, skills and proficiency in various areas of law and professionalism and ethics in practice. Board certified lawyers are Evaluated for Professionalism, Tested for Expertise. Certification is The Florida Bar’s highest level of evaluation of the competency and experience of attorneys in the 26 areas of law approved for certification by the Supreme Court of Florida.
Belkis Plata and Shannon Schott are amongst only 32 attorneys in the State of Florida who are experts in the area of Juvenile Law. They are the only two in Jacksonville, Florida who are actively taking criminal defense cases for juveniles in delinquency court.
Our attorneys also facilitate FREE age-appropriate information sessions for high school and middle-aged school students about the consequences of crime. If your child is in trouble, protect your child's right to remain silent and right to counsel, and contact us today